Delivering the 3b generation of LNMO cells for the xEV market of 2025 and beyond
3beLiEVe aims at delivering the 3b generation of LNMO cells for the electrified vehicles market of 2025 and beyond. The project addresses the full scope of the LC-BAT-5-2019 call by delivering:
- 3b generation batteries with LNMO cathodes, LiFSI electrolyte, and a 10-20 wt.% Si-C anode in a cell architecture capable of 750 Wh/l, 300 Wh/kg, 1.4 kW/kg, and 2,000+ deep cycles, of which 10% at 3C+.
- a portfolio of internal and external sensors (22 sensors per module) and an adaptive liquid cooling system managed by a smart BMS with advanced diagnostic and operational functions.
- cradle to cradle approach, including cell/module/pack green manufacturing processes (gigafactory level), optical equipment for inline quality inspection, 1st and 2nd life performance and recyclability demonstration, achieving 90 €/kWh life cycle cost.
In this project, ISEA will contribute its expertise in testing, lifetime assessment of battery technologies as well as its experience in the field of battery sensor techniques paired with diagnostics software and adaptive control strategies. That’s why ISEA will experimentally investigate the batteries with electrical testing routines as well as physical, chemical and electrochemical analyses of the used components. Furthermore, the influence of novel sensor technology on BMS and battery will be analysed to assess technical and economic use of the new chemistries. A special focus has been given on standardized testing.
01st January 2020 – 1st June 2023
This project has received funding from the European Union’s H2020 research and innovation programme under Grant Agreement no. 875033.
This publication reflects only the author’s view and the Innovation and Networks Executive Agency (INEA) is not responsible for any use that may be made of the information it contains.
- Centro Ricerche Fiat Scpa
- DSM Engineering Plastics B.V
- Insplorion Sensor Systems AB
- Valeo Systemes Thermiques SAS
- Valeo Klimasysteme GmbH
- Centro de Investigación Cooperativa de Energías Alternativas Fundación, CIC Energigune Fundazioa
- RWTH Aachen
- Custom Cells Itzehoe GmbH
- Fraunhofer Gesellschaft zur Foerderung der Angewandten Forschung E.V.
- NXP Semiconductors France SAS
- Haldor Topsoe AS
- Elkem AS