Grid Integration and Storage System AnalysisISEA
The international power systems are transforming at an unprecedented pace. Rapidly increasing shares of renewable energies have already significantly reduced Germany's dependence on fossil fuels and enabled a worldwide unique phase out of nuclear energy. However, the energy transition also poses new challenges for the electricity grids – new flexibilities are needed to guarantee a stable and cost-efficient operation.
The research section “Grid Integration and Storage System Analysis” develops an in-depth understanding of the many benefits that storage systems can offer in modern power grids and provides economic solutions to supply growing flexibility demands. A team of more than 20 full-time scientists and engineers supplements comprehensive battery knowledge with a detailed understanding of energy markets and storage applications in order to develop cost-effective storage system design and find optimal operating strategies. Hence, maximum lifetime and minimal overall lifecycle costs can be achieved.
- PV storage systems in private and commercial buildings
- Power-to-X applications, combining electrical, thermal and mobility sector
- Optimal charging strategies for electric vehicles
- Using storage systems to optimize industrial processes
- Design, setup and operation of utility-scale storage systems
- Grid effects of decentralized storage systems
- Rural electrification
- Analysis of future power systems
- Studies regarding the market and technology development of storage systems