5 MW multi-technology battery storage systems for grid services
As part of the project M5Bat, a large battery storage system with a capacity of approx. 5 MWh and a rated power of approx. 5 MW was set up at ISEA. The battery storage system is a hybrid system consisting of five different types of lead-acid and lithium-ion batteries. It enables the development, practical application and evaluation of energy management strategies for various applications of grid-connected large battery storage systems.
The battery storage system consists of five different battery types, and a total of ten battery strings. A wide range of battery cell technologies - from high energy to high power cells - were taken into account in the development. The following cell types are used:
- Vented lead-acid battery, building-integrated
- Valve-regulated lead-acid battery, building-integrated and container-integrated
- Lithium manganese oxide battery, building-integrated
- Lithium iron phosphate battery, building-integrated
- Lithium titanate battery, container-integrated
The battery storage system is used in cooperation with our marketer mainly for the provision of frequency containment reserve, frequency restoration reserve and portfolio management. In addition, research is being conducted into peak shaving and the provision of grid inertia.