Grid Integration and Storage System AnalysisCopyright: ISEA
The international power systems are transforming at an unprecedented pace. Rapidly increasing shares of renewable energies have already significantly reduced Germany's dependence on fossil fuels and enabled a worldwide unique phase out of nuclear energy. However, the energy transition also poses new challenges for the electricity grids – new flexibilities are needed to guarantee a stable and cost-efficient operation.
The research section “Grid Integration and Storage System Analysis” develops an in-depth understanding of the many benefits that storage systems can offer in modern power grids and provides economic solutions to supply growing flexibility demands. A team of more than 20 full-time scientists and engineers supplements comprehensive battery knowledge with a detailed understanding of energy markets and storage applications in order to develop cost-effective storage system design and find optimal operating strategies. Hence, maximum lifetime and minimal overall lifecycle costs can be achieved.
- PV storage systems in private and commercial buildings
- Power-to-X applications, combining electrical, thermal and mobility sector
- Optimal charging strategies for electric vehicles
- Using storage systems to optimize industrial processes
- Design, setup and operation of utility-scale storage systems
- Grid effects of decentralized storage systems
- Rural electrification
- Analysis of future power systems
- Studies regarding the market and technology development of storage systems